27/11/2021

We are only strangers and pilgrims

 

Although I embroider a new question every day and I try to stay with that question, most of them keep being on my mind on other days and some questions more than others. It also makes a difference where I put them, apparently. I didn’t do it on purpose, but on the upper part of my right trouser leg I embroidered “What if there is no tomorrow?” Every time I sit down somewhere and cross my legs comfortably, I read it. It is an interesting question you can look at in two ways. Like a memonto mori, none of us is going to live forever —although some people are putting a lot of effort into changing that and who knows, maybe we will some day be able to upload our brains. 

Would you have any regrets if you would know today would be your last day? Are there things you haven’t done that are important to you? Did anything remain unsaid that should have been communicated? Did you live enough, love enough, enjoyed enough, care enough?
But also: what if there really wouldn’t be a future? In a way it looks like that already, if there won’t be any major changes, that is where we are heading - as the human race at least, the planet will survive, probably benefit from us not being there anymore.
In the coming years we will see if that awareness is strong enough, if we are willing to make some profound changes.
 
This morning I was out early for a walk. I saw the sun rise out of the sea. I watched hundreds of starlings gather in a tree before they flew off as if they were one. I found a little terrace and ordered coffee and a croissant. A dog seated himself next to me, the croissant just came out of the oven and spread a scent trail he couldn’t resist. On the left site, across the street in front of the cemetery, two stone ladies were watching over me, reminding me that we are only strangers and pilgrims on earth, “peregrini et hospites sunt super terram”.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment