14/07/2023

Day 2 & 3

I packed some small books but decided to leave them at home last moment when I took out everything that wasn’t indispensable. Books are indispensable but I figured I would find some on the road and I did on the second day of my walk. The supermarket in el Papol had free books and the Tao Te Ching (Tao Te King in Spanish) with a recommendation by Thomas Merton on the back seemed to be the perfect companion for the coming weeks. I decided to open it randomly every morning and read one of the 81 parts. The first one was number 26:


Heaviness is the root of lightness.

Serenity is the master of restlessness.


Therefore, the Sage, travelling all day,

Does not part with the baggage-wagon;

Though there may be gorgeous sights to see,

He stays at ease in his own home.


Why should a lord of ten thousand chariots

Display his lightness to the world?

To be light is to be separated from one's root;

To be restless is to lose one's self-mastery.


Today number 17, about the best leaders. I just read in the newspaper: Spain’s election is a key battle in the Europe-wide struggle against neofascism: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/14/spain-election-europe-neo-fascism-vox-germany-finland




No comments:

Post a Comment